Wednesday 2 April 2008

Hearing the last lecture !!

Coming to a masters degree far away in a different continent,away from home, away from friends, I thought i would loose touch with my family. I was strong when I got into the aircraft, I remember laughing and smiling my way throughout for the next 2 and a half months. Come december, I gave my first exam, din't do well at all. I certainly did complain a lot about the course no doubt, because I thought that the money I was spending was not worth it. But on the other hand, I am learning to survive by myself. I know now that I can cook and eat :).

The journey so far has brought me very close to my parents. I have seen a side of them that I had not experienced living under the same roof. Same goes for my brother. Vivid experiences on campus taught me that nothing in life was more valuable that family and friends. If it was money, I can certainly earn it back, but people I can't.

I have made a lot of good friends on campus, learnt a lot of different things and have certainly learnt the Finance lingo. Now I can follow FT or economic times.

My academic achievements have not been good, but I am not ashamed because at the end of the day I have developed skills that no exam or books can teach me.

My friend stumbled upon this lecture delivered by a dying professor to his students. It was also passed on to me by numerous people in the following days. Every experience is a teacher and the fact it kept coming back to me meant that I had to learn something from it.

His words brought tears in my eyes. God should forgive me for saying this, but we as human beings have to know that we are dying and won't be around too long to be able to have fun without feeling guilty about it. He is in his last few months and is determined to have fun everyday.

The irony is that we become strong and brave once we know that there isn't a lot of time left.

I dont know about the people around me, but I am certainly going to enjoy everytime I step out. Life passes us in a giffy. I can't believe I have come to the end of this course.

I wish to share the link to that lecture with you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

There is also another video on youtube (yes as students on campus with no television ..this is what we do)

This was delivered by Steve Jobbs at the graduation ceremony for Stanford Students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA

After hearing these two, I have decided not to have any regrets because life is too short to have regrets and to make sure I don't , I would have to avoid doing things that I would regret later.

Be hungry .. be foolish :)

No comments: